Friday, September 19, 2008

Greenhouse Soil and Irrigation

Soil and Irrigation is important to the health of your plants. The healthier they are the better plants you will have. I personally want my produce to be very healthy because my family and friends will be eating it and I love beautiful flowers. So you want to have good soil.


You want to choose a good commercial soil for your plant beds. It should have a combination of top soil, sand, fir bark, vermiculite, peat moss and compost. These are some of the ingredients to look for in a good commercial soil. If you want to make your own soil here is what I use. Use equal amounts of sand, soil, vermiculite, peat moss, fir bark and compost along with an all purpose fertilizer.


There is another way of growing plants it is called organic hydroponics. It is basically growing plants in water. This is becoming a very popular way to grow plants because they grow fast. There are some organic farmers that are using this method for growing large quantize of plants to keep up with food supplies but there are more and more organic hydroponics greenhouses being built. It takes less room to grow plants this way and the plants get their nutrients from the organic fertilizers that are dissolved and put in the water. There are pluses by growing plants this way for instance you do not have the issue of the soil getting to dry or the soil getting to wet. There is no weeding, no nurturing the soil. Plants grown in this fashion can be grown closer together because they do not have the big root systems you find in traditional soil plants. They don't need all of the big roots because they are supplied with everything they need in the water with no soil resistance to grow in. I believe this could be the way of the future but not everyone is agreeing that this is the best way to grow plants.


Watering your plants can be time consuming but if you have the time to stand out in your greenhouse and water I think that is great. I personally don't have that much time so I have a automatic drip system. I have a timer on the house which is hooked up the hose that I have for the drip system. It is great because I know just when my plants are getting watered and how much they are getting. I have found that if I am hand watering I can get water on the leaves and sometimes that can turn them brown or even cause a leaf fungus to grow so I really enjoy the drip or irrigation system.
http://growing-greenhouse-produce.blogspot.com/


No comments: